Naturism in Igaratá
The Jaguari Dam is located in the municipality of Igaratá, a city located 79 kilometers from the capital (São Paulo City). If you are a naturist and one day visit São Paulo, take a quick trip to Igaratá and get to know the Paradise Viewpoint.
The name "Igaratá" comes from the Tupi - "Igara" means boat / boat, indigenous canoe. The best known meaning is "high canoe," but there are records of what it means to be "big canoe," or "strong or strong canoe."
There are no records that tell the whole origin of the village of Igaratá. Born at the bottom of the Peixe river valley, almost at the confluence of the Jaguari river, the small heap of houses arose around a chapel. Not even baptismal notes or marriages record the passage of missions through the village. The first official record marks the beginning of the first phase of the city's history. On April 19, 1864, the Chapel of Our Lady of Patrocínio is taken to the Parish category and attached to the District of São José dos Paraitininga. Four years later, on May 9, 1868, the Parish moved from Comarca, with annexation to the municipality of Santa Isabel.
On April 23, 1863, with the same name, by the Emperor's law number 80, it was transformed into a Municipality and annexed to the district of Jacareí. The name Igaratá, denomination of canoes with high backs, used by the guaranis Indians that lived in the region happened to designate the name of the city in 22 of December of 1,906, through the law nº 1402.
As a municipality, it became only as a peace district of Igaratá, and so it was until, on May 21, 1934, the municipality was extinguished and attached again to Santa Isabel. In 1954, by law 2456 of December 30, it became again independent and, emancipated administratively and politically, conditions in which it remains until today.
In the early 1960s, the project for the construction of a dam that produced energy to meet the development needs of the Paraíba Valley came into being. Because of its condition of riverside of the river Jaguari, it was decided to sacrifice the municipality. With many efforts and dedication of the municipal authorities, in 1968 appeared the hope of rebuilding the city elsewhere. On April 24, 1969 they arrived at the first machines for the construction of Nova Igaratá, marking the beginning of the second phase of the history of the Municipality.
"Nova Igaratá" was officially born on December 5, 1969, three kilometers from "Igaratá velha". All the residents of the old one were transferred to the new city, building their houses in land donated by CESP (Centrais Elétricas de São Paulo). Those who were outside or did not live in the old city could buy land if they wanted, and at the beginning the price was very low to encourage and promote local progress. Gradually it was constructed gym, school, police station, city hall and other offices.
Geography and Climate
It is located at a latitude 23º12'16 "south and a longitude 46º09'22" west, being at an altitude of 745 meters. Its estimated population in 2004 was 9,318 inhabitants. It has a relatively cold and semi-dry winter and a super humid and hot summer, with the seasons of autumn and spring being seasons of transitions presenting characteristics of both summer and winter, with hot or cold days and humidity increasing or decreasing along Of the days of both these seasons.
The neighboring municipalities are Joanópolis to the north, São José dos Campos to the east, Jacareí to the southeast, Santa Isabel to the southwest and Nazaré Paulista and Piracaia to the west.
Igaratá is located on the banks of the Dom Pedro I Highway, at kilometer 24, on the São Paulo-Rio axis, 70 km from São Paulo, 20 km from Santa Isabel, 22 km from Jacareí, 30 km from São José dos Campos and 100 km Of Campinas.